Changes to the 2019-20 Directory of Off-Campus Instructional Locations

We want to provide some clarification as a result of some questions we received about what instructional locations need to be reported on this form. 

  • This form must be completed for each main and branch campus concerning all off-campus instructional locations associated with each such campus.


  • Please report all locations that fall in any of these 3 categories (see Instruction Manual for definitions of the below).
    • Extension center
    • Extension site
    • Commissioner Exceptions


  • In the recent past, institutions were instructed not to report the locations that fell under Commissioner Exceptions (Non NYS, Clinical Practices, Secondary Schools, Correctional Facilities, Native American Reservations, and Other). After further discussions it was determined that we do want to collect information on locations that fall under Exception, so we are asking that you begin reporting these again.


  • Locations that fall under the Commissioner Exceptions do not have to meet the requirements of 54.1 of Commissioner Regulations, which requires the Commissioner’s approval of the location.  If a location falls under one of the exceptions in 54.2 of Commissioner Regulations (Non NYS, Clinical Practices, Secondary Schools, Correctional Facilities, Native American Reservations, and Other), that just means that the institution didn’t need to have the location approved, it doesn’t mean that the institutions don’t have to report the location. Commissioner Regulations 54.3 requires that colleges maintain records of every location at which they offer courses for credit and report that to us if we request it.


  • Institutions should NOT report locations at which students are doing clinical or field work, or at which less than a full course is being offered.


  • Institutions should report an off-campus location if a full course is being offered at that location.   


Example of the above two bullets: 

-  If all students in a program, go to a specialized laboratory to take a full course, then that should be reported.  If students in a security program, however, go to a shooting range to take the gun safety portion of a firearms operations course, then that doesn’t need to be reported.


  • We have put together a step by step guide on how to submit your form in the IDEx and an FAQ document. You can find these on our page.